HOUSE CALVET - BARCELONA
Casa Calvet - Barcelona
Built between 1898 and 1900 and directed by the architect Antoni Gaudi, Barcelona’s Casa Calvet is considered a cultural asset of national interest. It was intended for a family from the neo-bourgeoisie whose economic interest was based on textiles. The originality of the construction of this building lies in the fact that it had to be built between two existing buildings. It is located in Caspe Street, in an area called the Eixample. It is a Baroque building, which is the result of numerous movements such as Mudejar, Romanesque, Gothic and Baroque styles. The front façade is made up of different decorative components such as martyrs. They were chosen by the owner to represent St. Peter (a tribute to the saint of the same name as her late husband). The other two martyrs represent the patron saints of San Genis de Vilassar (Saint Geniès of Arles and Saint Geniès of Rome). Everything refers to the family. The mushrooms praise her husband’s passion for mycology. Like Paris, Barcelona depended with Haussmann on a housing development plan called “l’Eixample” dating from 1859, drawn up by Ildefons Cerdà. In the lower part of the tribune we can see the signature of the owner, the shield of Catalonia and a Cyprus: symbol of hospitality. Further down is the enormous wooden door of the main entrance with a curious knocker. A forged detail that was executed with great difficulty. It represents a cross falling on an insect: symbol of evil. Gaudi had previously been at the heart of two other projects, Casa Mila and Casa Batllo. Returning to the Casa Calvet area, its location was prized by the bourgeoisie. At the end of the 19th century, they all settled in the area. Casa Calvet was awarded the prize in 1900 for the best building of the year by Barcelona City Council. This title resides on its artistic value.