Saint Andrew's Abbey - Bruges.
Sint-Andriesabdij - Brugge.
St. Andrew’s Abbey in Bruges is a monastery of Benedictine monks founded in Bruges as a priory in the Sint-Andries district at the beginning of the XIIᵉ century by Robert II of Flanders. This new neo-gothic abbey was to send monks to Brazil in order to revive Benedictine life in that country. Today, some 25 monks live in the abbey according to the rules of Benedict, in the service of God and the Church. The church consists of a main church with a basilical plan, an atrium with a colonnade and a Maria Chapel in the central building. There are several secondary chapels, all decorated in a different style. In 1185, the priory was elevated to the rank of an abbey, which became independent from its mother abbey, Affligem Abbey, in 1188. The abbey faced difficulties during the German occupation in the second half of the XVᵉ century. It also suffered considerable damage caused by the Gueux in the XVIᵉ century. Suppressed during the French Revolution, it was rebuilt a short distance away at the end of the XIXᵉ century, and monastic life was revived by monks from Maredsous Abbey. This new community is missionary: evangelisation work in the Katanga region of Belgian Congo, formation of an apostolic vicar as bishop for the archdiocese of Lubumbashi. Foundations also in Brazil, China, India and elsewhere. This new monastery, located in the Loppem section south of the city of Bruges, is known as St. Andrew’s Abbey in Zevenkerken and is part of the Congregation of the Annunciation.