LA BOVERIE - LIÈGE
Le Palais des Beaux-Arts - Liège
The Palais des Beaux-Arts, also known as the Boverie de Liège, dates from the 20th century: built between 1903 and 1905. The architects at the head of the project are Charles Etienne Soubre and Jean-Laurent Hasse from Antwerp. Charles Etienne Soubre is also known for his neo-classical constructions such as the Château de la Fraineuse. The Palace itself is neo-classical. It was simply created for the 1905 Universal Exhibition and is the only building that has not been destroyed. The extension that can be seen on its right was only completed in 2013 before opening in 2016. Its name is simply the affixing of the park of La Boverie. La Boverie is very recent, dating only from May 2016 but whose structure has existed since 1905. Its purpose is the programming of international exhibitions and permanent collections for the city of Liège. The museum is housed in what used to be the Palais des Beaux-Arts de Liège. A museum, the MAMAC already existed, closed in 2011 to show the Boverie. The museography, adapted by the architect Jean-Marc Huygen, is based on a flexible and mobile system of picture rails. An interior street crosses the building from one side to the other. In an eclectic style, influenced by the French neoclassical architecture of the late 18th century and often compared to the Royal Museum for Central Africa in Brussels (architect Charles Girault, 1905-1908), the Palace is recognisable by the five hemispherical slate domes of the roof and the white Gobertange stone that unites its main façades and the many sculpted decorative parts (Vanwarenberg).