The Provincial Opera and Ballet - Ljubljana.
Deželno gledališče - Ljubljana.
The Ljubljana Opera House was built in 1892 as the Carniolan Provincial Theatre. Its predecessor, located on the site of the present building of the Kongresni Trg Philharmonic Society, had survived until the fire of 1887. In 1888, a plan for a new theatre was also drawn up by Georg Hladnig, an architect living in Vienna. His version called for the construction of a large vestibule with two staircases with two flights of steps on the sides, a semicircular auditorium and a stage with additional rooms in the wings. In 1890, just before the start of the reconstruction work, a piece of land close to the building which belonged to the Provincial Museum Rudolfinum was purchased from its previous owner. The choice of location and architects was strongly influenced by personalities from the Slovenian political and cultural spheres, in particular the mayor of Ljubljana, Ivan Hribar. The Slovenian Opera and Ballet shares with all those who visit it a vast repertoire of ballets, operas and concerts of all kinds. The performances here bring together all kinds of talent and different elements of classical and contemporary styles. Among the outstanding shows that have been staged and presented on these stages are Faust, The Love for Three Oranges, Aida, Prince Igor and Don Quixote. Since the 1970s, a number of proposals have been put forward to renovate and enlarge the building. The main reason was that the building was originally built for a town of about 30,000 inhabitants, but as this number increased, the building could no longer provide the necessary conditions for performances.