Palais Castiglioni - Milan
Palazzo Castiglioni - Milano
Palazzo Castiglioni, built between 1901 and 1904 for a wealthy entrepreneur from Milan, Ermenegildo Castiglioni, was entrusted to the architect Giuseppe Sommaruga. Located in Milan in the Lombard region, this building is considered the “manifesto” of Art Nouveau in Milan. Art Nouveau was, as is well known, politically controversial by the conservatives who found these buildings too baroque. This one was also consciously so. The architect’s aim was to produce a deliberately daring project in order to provoke the Milanese elite, who were particularly conservative at the time. It has caused such a scandal since the removal of the scaffolding in 1903 that public opinion refused to remove the two women’s statues. They stood above the entrance portal and were the work of Ernesto Bazzaro. The essence of the problem, although not decried as such, was the fact that the women were naked. The palace was nicknamed “la Ca ‘di ciapp” (the house of buttocks). It will have been largely modified in the course of history. In 1945, the interior furnishings were destroyed by the American troops who occupied the structure in 1945. They used the furniture as firewood! Only the non-combustible: decorations, wrought iron and lamps were saved. Spread over three floors, two facades. One facade with gable on the street, the other on the garden. The facades are made of rough stone, there is also stucco (18th century).