St. Charles of the Four Fountains - Rome
San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane - Roma
The baroque church of St. Charles of the Four Fountains of Rome, dedicated to St. Charles Borromeo, is located in the Monti rione. It is the work of Francesco Borromini. It was intended for the Trinitarians, the convent of a Spanish order. It should be noted that this will be the first project that he carried out independently. Its construction began in July 1634 and was completed in 1680. Francesco Borromini did not have the honour of seeing the construction completed since he died in 1667 in Rome. The church contains a cloister composed of two levels. The lower part consists of columns and pillars. These represent serliennes. On the upper level it is simply a balustrade. The large number of columns is intended to give the illusion of more space. This is the process of scanning. The interior of the church has a dome measuring 25.80 m by 16.25 m. The ornament is as follows: caissons with a pattern of hexagons and crosses, themselves in polygons within numerous circles. It should be noted that the monument was built at the same time as the Church of Saint Andrew of the Quirinal by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, his contemporary. The Greek cross plan was identical except that Borromini’s work was more rational. In the face of all this splendour, the very small size of the building is completely forgotten: it was ingeniously constructed with the same dimensions as one of the pillars of the dome of St. Peter’s. In this church, Borromini has masterfully modulated and fashioned high, slender corrugated walls.