Railway station - Saint-Quentin.
Gare ferroviaire Saint-Quentin
Opened in 1850, the Saint-Quentin railway station belonged to the Compagnie des chemins de Fer du Nord. A second building was constructed under the direction of architect Sidney Dunnett. This architect, who is originally from Calais, was involved in many projects in the North of France but also in Wallonia. The building was inaugurated in 1887. Its only destination was the Creil – Saint-Quentin route, of which it was the Terminus. On 21 October 1855, another line opened: Saint-Quentin – Hautmont. The two architects who initiated the project for the present station were Gustave Umbdenstock and Urbain Cassan. Despite the First World War, the intense aerial bombardment of the district on 1st July 1916, this did not succeed in making it disappear. The Saint-Quentin station was destroyed by fire in 1921. It should be pointed out that these architects were responsible for the last station opened in 1926, in other words the third one. This one was in Art-Deco style, visible through the station’s buffet rooms, with an interior designed by Master Glassmaker Auguste Labouret: Listed as a Historic Monument. The station buffet was decorated by Labouret in 1926. He used wall panels with grey and gold mosaic and plant and geometric ornamentation. In addition, basic Art Nouveau features. The imposing bar, with rounded corners, is made of green marble and the glass is surrounded by copper. “The buffet, a place of passage par excellence, becomes a place of architectural and decorative utopia, an invitation to dream and travel. Antechamber of departure and travel, the buffet of the Saint-Quentin station, beyond its exceptional plastic and architectural qualities, reflects the image of luxury and pleasure of the Roaring Twenties”.