THE MUNICIPAL CASINO - SAN PELLEGRINO TERM
Il Casinò Municipale - San Pellegrino Terme
The splendour of Italian Art Nouveau through Romolo Squadrelli’s Casino Municipal of San Pellegrino. If in France the name of the town evokes the San Pellegrino brand, it is because the town’s characteristic feature is the water baths, which are reputed to be curative. Located in the north of Lombardy, this town has a slight Como feel. The casino was built for the spa company. It also commissioned the Grand Hotel. The Casino was inaugurated in 1907. The exterior is just as sumptuous as the interior. The sculptures along the main pillars represent caryatids and oral ornaments. The fittings made by Alessandro Mazzucotelli, one of the greatest Italian ironworkers of the 19th century, evoke butterflies. Other artists have provided support for the project: Malerba, Bernasconi, Vedani, Beltrami, Buffa and Eugene Quarter. The fantastic façade, decorated with high reliefs in artificial stone, allegorical groups, masks, anthropomorphic elements, human busts, putti, abundant floral motifs and artistic iron lanterns, rises with the great wrought iron mast of Mazzucotelli, supported by telamons, symbols of human fatigue. At the base there are frescoes of flying kites which, like butterflies, symbolise new art. Today, the structure of the Municipal Casino hosts cultural, theatrical and all kinds of events, as well as meetings, congresses, receptions, dinners and gala evenings, fashion shows, conventions, exhibitions and shows of all kinds. In the summer, many shows are organised in the Casino Square.