The Museum of Cyprus, Nicosia.

The first archaeological museum of Lefkosia was set up in a building on Victoria Street, in the former Lefkosia, in the occupied part of the city. It was founded in 1888 as a private institution to protect the finds that began to emerge during the first legal excavations undertaken under British rule of the island. The first law related to archaeology was passed in 1905 and was the first essential step towards the establishment of archaeology in Cyprus. A committee, chaired by the British Governor, took over the management of the museum. The ever-increasing number of finds from systematic excavations, mainly undertaken by foreign missions, such as the mission of the Swedish Archaeological School headed by Professor Einar Gjerstad, forced the museum committee to look for new premises for the exhibition and storage of the finds. The passing of a new archaeology law in 1935 and the establishment of the Department of Antiquities enabled the museum to become fully official. Many important excavations were undertaken by Cypriot researchers and brought to light some of the early phases of the colonisation of the island, establishing the historical development of Cyprus and enriching the museum’s collections with important finds. With the independence of the island in 1960, Cypriot archaeology flourished further as it was finally able to overcome its relative isolation and confirm its position at the forefront of international archaeological research. The Museum of Archaeology of Lefkosia consists of fourteen rooms surrounding a central square area and includes offices, a library, storerooms and spaces for the conservation and study of the objects in the collection. The objects in the rooms are arranged chronologically and thematically.

Nicosia "Lefkosia".

At the Cyprus Museum, children with their parents/guardians can enjoy two educational visits under the general title “A visit to the Cyprus Museum with my family”. The two topic trips “Discovering mythical creatures” & “Discovering the goddess Aphrodite” are made with specially designed discovery kits containing all kinds of information and accessories.

"Exploration kits are available in Greek and English at the Museum's reception desk".